CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

About Me

My photo
I am mom to three little blessings on earth - Cale, Addy, & Cash. Pre-kiddos, I was a Special Education teacher, but now I spend my days at home with my little ones. I hope to use this site as a journal- to document the day to day stuff we experience on this wild ride we call life :). I look forward to learning, sharing, reflecting, and GROWING. So pull up a chair and visit a while. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. I'd love to check out your blog as well. Let the blogging begin :)! Ready or not...here I go :)!

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Dental Drama...The Case of the Disappearing Cavities

Cavities or no cavities...THAT is the question :)!!!
BEFORE
AFTER
BIG Smile :)!
The dentist...that is one place I dread almost as much as my annual "yearly" exam. As a child/ teen, I spent lots of time in the dental chair... I had braces and surgery for an underbite (which required my mouth to be wired shut for weeks...man how that could help me now :)...) along with the normal cleanings and such. Now that I have kiddos, I want to make sure they have a healthy smile as well. I am beginning to learn that is much easier said than done :).

When Cale was about 2 1/2 or 3 he fell and hit his front tooth...causing it to turn dark gray. When he was 4, we had it pulled. That was one of the worst experiences of my dental history...and his. At this time we also learned he had an "extra" baby tooth. It came down in the space where the tooth was removed, but it had an unusual look and shape. This led to him being teased a bit, and it being referred to as his "shark tooth". Of course this broke my heart (even though it did lead to some great conversations about differences, treating others with kindness, how to punch mean kids in the nose- just kidding :)...), and when his current dentist said that they could bond the tooth to make it appear more "normal" we were all excited :). At this visit. he also had a cleaning and we were told he had 3 cavities (this was a week ago today). They suggested fillings, and we started on their "treatment plan" on Monday. Well... Monday may have been the second worst experience of my dental history (and Cale's), and I wasn't even at the office (I figured I gave birth so Joel could have this joy :)...). Cale was terrified, and I think the dentist was terrified as well - LOL. After several attempts, the tooth was finally bonded, and Joel and Cale were sent on their way with a referral to a pedodontist who uses nitrous oxide (laughing gas) for fillings :).

On Tuesday, I called the referred dental practice and was told we could come in Wednesday (today). So, I put my big girl panties on, and with Cale in one hand and the dental X-rays in the other I headed out to face our fears. After getting lost and having to call for directions twice (Cale said, "Man this town has a lot of Super Targets!"...little did he know it was the same one....I was driving in circles- LOL :)...) we finally made it. After 6 pages of practically signing my life away...and a few minutes of waiting, Cale was in the big chair, and I was praying that God would help us both through this adventure :). The dental assistant looked over our X-rays several times and asked if we were there to get the front tooth fixed. I answered no, it had been fixed on Monday, Cale needed 3 fillings. She looked at our X-rays again...and again... and again :)... and then said the dentist would be right with us. A few minutes later the dentist joined us. She looked over the X-rays, looked puzzled...looked over the X-rays...looked puzzled, and then she decided to do a quick exam. Low and behold...(drum roll should go here)...NO CAVITIES. Yep, not one, not two, not three...but NONE. A week ago today, using the same X-rays Cale supposedly had three cavities that needed fillings...today NONE. Go figure. She said it was a difference of opinion..his teeth were fine... no cavities... no fillings needed. So where did they go? How is a cavity a difference of opinion? Is that like being a little bit pregnant? If he hadn't flipped out at the first dentist, what would they have taken out if there wasn't a cavity...good tooth? Needless to say, Cale leaped out of the chair and has decided this dentist is the best ever :). I am at a loss as to what I should do. Dental drama stinks!


2 comments:

Joanna said...

My little six year old had her own dental drama the same day! She had two baby teeth removed because the perms came in behind them already. They used the gas but she refused to breath through her nose! I had to hold her hands down...ugh! It was just exhausting FOR EVERYONE! I am glad your is over and I would be LIVID about "misread" in the xrays...I would be calling if I were you. Thank God he doesnt have any though!

Unknown said...

That was very surprising! I'm glad that Cale did not have to undergo any procedure that time. It can be quite traumatic for a kid. Maybe that's the reason why he liked that particular dentist.

In most places like Hixson, dentists use laughing gas to ease out the anxiety of patients. Last week, my daughter Sarah visited his dentist (in Hixson). Everything went well because she inhaled trace amounts of nitrous oxide during the filling.

Hope we would have the same luck next visit. Thanks!